Friday, April 20, 2012

getting back into the corporate world

I have been on my own for nearly 2 years and it have been awesome! However an oil company's representative contacted me about some softwares and system I made for their rivals while I was employed with them. Well, they want me to implement those systems I build for their rivals into their company. I won't be an employee, more like a software vendor/3rd party system analyst but not quite. So I might have to sit in an office and study their system to improve it with codes. Look I am fine working for someone else but I am not fine with the kind of crap that goes on in most offices. That was one of the top reasons why I came out on my own.

In an office environment there are 4 laws you have to keep.
1) Be in good terms with as many people as possible.
2) Be consistent in your work
3) "kow tow" the right people.
4) Don't let other people see you doing your "kow tow"

To sum up the law in a sentence, be mediocre to your colleagues and only impress the right person.

Of all the 4 laws the 3rd one is by far the most important. In fact if you are good with the 3rd law you don't need the other laws. I am too honest and that is my weakness therefore I can't kow tow effectively(neither is it in my character) I am fairly alright with law #1. In Malaysia its best practice to be agreeable most of the time. After all your job at work is to keep your job, not to be a hero. People don't appreciate heroes or geniuses. They see them as a threat to their promotion. It seems that in Malaysia the popular guys in office that don't get targeted tends to be a bit girly and agreeable. Gee where can I sign up for acting classes in Miri. Or maybe the pharmacies sell woman's hormone. A big dose of those 3 times a day and voila! Problem solved. I know, I should eat lots of hormones laced chickens and grow some sexy pair of breast as an unwanted side effect. Sick sick sick, this society is sick. lol

PS: If anything sounds cheesy to you, I most likely meant it as a joke.

No comments: